Sunday, June 1, 2008

Calling all cheapskates!!

No cute stories or pics for you this time- Today I want to start a competition for who is the biggest cheapskate. In these days where gas is $4 a gallon I want everyone to be able to share their creative ideas for how they save mula! For example:

-Before I head to the grocery store I check for coupons at, http://www.coupons.com/ , http://www.coupons.smartsource.com/ and print off only the things that I know I need.

-I go to different grocery stores to find the best deals. ie: I do the majority of the shopping at Super Target, however their meat is pricey so I head over to Kroger and buy beef in bulk at $1.99 a pound. It's only one extra trip a month to get the cheap meat which I separate into meal size portions and freeze.

-I cut all my dryer sheets in half. You don't really need the whole sheet and the box lasts twice as long!

I hope this is a good start. Please post your ideas so we can all learn from each other some fun ways to save some money.

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

Ground Turkey is a great way to save money in the meat department. the only thing it's not so good in, is like taco salad (or anything without a lot of flavor since turkey has a slightly different flavor) but at $1.37 a lb. you can't beat that! Also- instead of juices during the summer that have a lot of sugar (kids only need like 4-6 oz a day!)- we use the powdered propel and just add it to our water...but don't do full strength- that way the kids drink their water and its cheaper than juice or gatorade, etc.! thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

We don't turn on the car unless it's to leave town.
We walk to church,
Ride our bikes to the grocery store,
Ride bikes to the bank,
Walk to Play practice.
If we have to take the car, we consider just not going.

...I'm glad 'everything' is within 5 blocks from our house. hahaha

Beattie Family said...

Garage sale, Garage sale, Garage sale. I buy as many of the girls clothes as I can, including those for the next few seasons. And don't forget, even though it's only marked $1.00 doesn't mean they'll love to take .50 for it! Also Ross is my current favorite store for my own clothing. Oh, and Baskin Robbins does a $1 scoop night that's great for dates. I'm going to start cutting my dryer sheets in half!

4Garrisons said...

I am a huge fan of vinegar-it is inexpensive, effective, and environmentally friendly. Just look up all the uses and you it will help you save money!

Joe and Lora Leigh said...

I try to make a little extra for dinner each night. I save it, then send it to work with Joe the next day. If I don't do that, he makes something like a big pot of spaghetti and takes part of that. It's cheaper than buying lots of "lunch" stuff from the store, and it saves us from being too lazy in the morning to put together a lunch; and aren't leftovers the best lunch anyway?

The Clews Crew said...

Seriously, Weston is so darn cute! I love all your pictures. I don't have any unique money saving techniques but I am going to steal yours. Never thought about cutting the dryer sheet, that's awesome. And as for your question, no, I didn't go into English, almost, but I talked myself out of it. But I do have great aspirations of writing a book someday. It probably will never happen, but it's one of my secret goals. (Guess it's not secret now huh?)

Lisa said...

Nick bought lunch at Arctic Circle yesterday. Just him. He got a "value" meal and a shake. It was over $7.00! He's not eating out anymore. . .
And I have started cuttig my sheets in half, too.
Oh, and we cook from "scratch" for dinner. And instead of cooking over the stove, I use the stove top side of the grill to keep the house cool. Works great, and you can work on your tan while you're cooking dinner!