Thursday, March 5, 2009

STROMBOLI

This is our family recipe for Stromboli. It is always a crowd pleaser and there is always someone who wants the recipe. The only problem is, it is so hard to explain. So I finally documented the process with pictures.


Dough: (this dough recipe doesn't get any easier. I use it for pizza crust also.)
3 cups flour (or half wheat/half white flour)
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 Tablespoon oil
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hot water
Mix together and separate into 2 lumps (makes 2 stromboli). Roll out into a rectangle shape.

We have always filled our strombolis with salami, pepperoni, sausage, cheese and black olives- but you can use whatever stuffings you like. Place toppings on bottom 2 thirds of the rectangle, less in the middle so that it is easier to roll up.
Fold the top layer of dough over the middle layer of toppings then the middle part over the bottom. Seal it up with water.








Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Cut into 1" pieces and serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping. (Side note: Don't go cheap on the spaghetti sauce. You may not dip my family's stromboli into spaghetti sauce from a can!) -but a jar is okay. ;)








4 comments:

Unknown said...

Robin, that my friend, is a thing of beauty. And I am drooling. And I think I am going to have to make these for Greg and I for dinner very soon. Thanks for the recipe and pics!! :)

Zach 'n' Jack said...

Ooooooooooooh YUM. I think I was Italian in the pre-existence. I live and breath for stuff like this. I make a pretty good calzone (if I say so myself) and this looks like a new thing to add to it! I am DEFINITELY making this ASAP!!!!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

You know I LOVE your stromboli!!! You must love me or something! This has totally made my day. We are for sure having this for dinner next week. And I will lovingly print the recipe and keep it on file and always think of my Rob Bin Laden when I make it. I just want to hug you to pieces.

Jessica said...

Looks yummy! We'll have to try this at our house- I'm always up for new recipes!